An Introduction to Razor View Syntax
29 Nov. 2011 Microsoft Solutions
Microsoft has introduced a new view engine called “Razor” for ASP.NET MVC as an alternative to the WebForms view engine (ASPX).
The Razor view syntax is based on the C# programming language. Instead of applying the ASP.NET .ASPX markup syntax usingblocks to indicate code blocks, the Razor view syntax starts of a code block using a @ character and does not require explicit closing of the code-block.
Other prominent benefits of the Razor View Syntax:
- Razor view syntax is clean and concise, requiring a minimum number of characters and keystrokes.
- The ease of learning Razor View Syntax makes it a welcome introduction, as it can be learned in parts since it is based on existing languages like C# and Visual Basic.
- The Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 includes IntelliSense and code colorization for Razor view syntax.
- Razor view syntax can be unit tested without requiring to run the application or launch a web server.
- Razor also supports the Master page concept using “layout pages” – which allows you to define a common site template, and then inherit its look and feel across all the views/pages on your site.
- Developers can add breakpoints to views in order to debug Razor views. This can be very helpful for inspecting the values of view model properties. For example, add a breakpoint to a view just as was done in the code file: right click the Razor statement that you are interested in and select Breakpoint -> Insert Breakpoint.
How to add the view engine into ASP.NET project?
The Add View dialog box in ASP.NET MVC 3 or 4 lets you choose the view engine you want to work with, and the New Project dialog box lets you specify the default view engine for a project. You can choose the Web Form’s view engine (ASPX), Razor, or other open-source view engines.
If one chooses to use the Razor view engine, the file extension will be .cshtml or .vbhtml instead of .aspx or .ascx.
Do you want to know, what is Microsoft Razor view engine and how razor view syntax works? Contact us now or call 1-877-RISHABH (1-877-747-4224).