Production Planning and Control Software Solution [CASE STUDY]
The client is ranked as the world’s 3rd leading manufacturer of high quality lens for cataract operations. Client has its offices in India and the UK, manufacturing units in India and operates through its channel partners in European countries.
The Business Need for Production Planning System
Client had a wide product range approximately 150-styles / power variety of quality lenses. It catered to a 3000 ophthalmologists (doctors) base through 11 marketing offices all over India. To stay ahead in the competition, Client decided to take help of integrated IT solution and do away with stand-alone application software.
The Production Planning and Control System Solution
Client needed a comprehensive job costing and integrated business information system for its order-driven company, which could balance critical requirements, function, and technology while offering the comfort and confidence necessary to overcome its unique business challenges.
In response to Client’s requirements, Rishabh Software developed Production Planning and Control Software solution which encompassed planning and forecasting orders, creating and maintaining bills of materials and routings, processing work orders, monitoring projected and actual shop load and recording the physical movement of inventory. The Production Planning and Control System solution developed encompassed the following features:
- Created either a single job or multiple jobs to perform the work for a contract
- Provided engineering releases to track the work through the process from receipt of contract to the shop floor and purchasing
- Allowed Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, and Production Planning and Control to electronically “send” work to the next department
- Maintained records on pending work in Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, and Production Planning and Control
- Provided for purchasing and tracking long lead-time items prior to engineering completion
- Showed material availability prior to committing work to the shop
- Maintained work order dependencies and scheduled the work orders accordingly
- Automatically updated the shop schedule and job cost when employees logged on/off the system
- Displayed graphical views of work order and shop status
- Business process re-engineering coupled with information system helped improve production planning and achieve better productivity
- Accurate and updated inventory information of finished goods, work-in-progress, raw materials and engineering stores
- Better raw material planning thus reduction in inventory carrying cost
- Improved internal communication between workstations
- Better information sharing and retrieval resulting into effective communication for better decision-making
- VB.Net 1.1
- Oracle 9