As technology rapidly evolves, organizations must adapt to stay competitive in today’s business landscape. Enterprise application modernization has become a critical strategy for businesses looking to transform their legacy systems and processes into agile, scalable, and efficient solutions. A well-crafted enterprise application modernization strategy is the key to exploring new opportunities, enhancing operational efficiencies, and driving innovation to achieve sustainable growth in the digital age. At the same time, strategy and process could differ according to your unique business model, needs, and expectations. Yet it is crucial to have a basic understanding of modernizing enterprise applications. Whether you’re a small startup or a large enterprise, understanding the importance of upgrading your applications is essential for future success.
In this article, we will explore the fundamental concepts and benefits of enterprise application modernization and discuss critical considerations & best practices for developing a successful modernization strategy.
Table of Contents:
Enterprise application modernization is the process of updating your existing legacy application’s platform infrastructure, architecture, framework, language, and/or features to meet your current business needs. This process involves migrating applications and data to new platforms, modernizing the application architecture, improving the user experience, and integrating the application with other systems and technologies. It can also involve replacing legacy systems with new off-the-shelf software or new custom applications. It doesn’t replace or discontinue your entire system. Instead, it utilizes the latest technologies to increase the existing system/platforms’ life span. While it could be time-consuming, complex, and expensive, modernizing legacy systems is worth the investment.
The application modernization process usually involves the discovery, design, and implementation phases. However, moving to the cloud is more complex and goes beyond the simple upgradation of apps. It includes modernizing the tech stack to make your applications more scalable and flexible.
The main goals of enterprise application modernization are to improve the application’s functionality, reduce maintenance costs, increase scalability, enhance security, and streamline business processes. By modernizing legacy applications, organizations can increase their competitiveness, improve operational efficiency, and better meet the needs of their customers.
Did you know?
Modernizing your legacy systems can provide many benefits, like transforming them into scalable and secure systems. Application modernization is seen as a crucial strategy to improve the efficiency and competitiveness of businesses. Here are some reasons for adopting enterprise app modernization to stay ahead of the competition:
Enterprise applications are software solutions that businesses use to streamline their operations, manage workflows, and facilitate communication between departments. As technology evolves, companies may find their current enterprise applications no longer meet their needs. Here are some factors that can determine if an enterprise application needs modernization:
By considering these factors, businesses can determine if modernizing an application will provide a positive return on investment and help them achieve their goals.
You could also look at multiple metrics to analyze your situation and decide if your enterprise application needs modernization. They include:
Enterprise app modernization is an ongoing process that utilizes the latest technologies. The key technologies used include:
We can help you achieve your goals to embrace the future of enterprise application development.
It is imperative to have a clear strategy before starting the enterprise application modernization process. We have compiled 7 steps for application modernization that include:
1. Legacy Application Assessment: Systematically assess and analyze the current state of your legacy application in detail to identify the current and potential issues. Inspect every aspect of the system, including the technologies used, the code quality and languages utilized, the architecture, UI/UX (User Interface/User Experience), i.e., the look, feel, and usability of the system, integration capabilities with latest technologies, and the ability to meet business growth plans.
2. Set Business Objectives: Define feasible and measurable business objectives you want to achieve with this application modernization strategy. It will help you determine the project scope, prioritize focus areas, and measure effort success.
3. Identify The Modernization Approach: Finalize the best approach for your enterprise app modernization If migrating to the Cloud, the approaches could be re-architecting, re-platforming, refactoring, or replacing your application with a new one. Please read our blog on the 6 R’s of Cloud Migration Strategy for more information.
4. Develop A Modernization Roadmap: Create a detailed application modernization roadmap, including deliverables, timelines, milestones, etc. It should include a development, testing, deployment, training, and support plan.
5. Select The Tech Stack: Based on your current and future needs, choose the technology stack offering easy updating, scaling, and integration facilities. If you decide to move to the cloud, choose the right cloud services provider and platform to meet your budget, timeline, performance, and security needs
6. Implement The Modernization Plan: Stick to plan and ensure the modernized application or system meets the performance and security requirements. It should be reliable, scalable, flexible, resilient, and easy to maintain.
7. Train And Support End-Users: Provide required training to the employees (end-users) of the modernized application so that they leverage its benefits for higher productivity and efficiency. Extend support to ensure that the deployed applications run smoothly.
Listed below are best practices that can help you successfully modernize your legacy application, enhance its functionality, and meet the evolving needs of your business.
Enterprise app modernization is a complex process and requires skills and experience for success. As an experienced software development company, we offer legacy application modernization services to enable businesses to upgrade & migrate their legacy software applications with minimal disruption to data & business processes.
Our modernization specialists serve enterprises across industries. They utilize the latest technologies to support you with application reengineering, API integration, cloud enablement & UI/UX modernization. We help you throughout the legacy app modernization cycle, from conducting a feasibility study and developing an optimal application modernization plan to implementation.
A healthcare solution provider wanted application modernization services to improve its legacy administration management application’s performance, reliability, and scalability with new features & enhancements. Due to complex workflow and code maintainability, their legacy application struggled to manage appointments, scheduling, invoicing, and report generation for varied medical services.
Our team re-engineered the legacy application using agile and waterfall methodology and developed a one-of-its-kind software to provide multiple integrations of home health care into a single solution. The modernized solution streamlines the pre-employment & annual medical assessment process, enables smooth appointment scheduling for clients, and improves transparency between the service provider and the end customer.
Read more about how our modernizing legacy administration management solution helped the US-based healthcare provider increase revenues.
A Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container (FIBC) manufacturer utilized a legacy MS Excel-based reporting system. It couldn’t provide the required insights for production planning, leading to increased costs. They wanted a unified solution to monitor machinery, human resources, stocks, and orders effectively.
We helped the manufacturing company revamp the Production Planning and Reporting Software to enable tracking & management of daily production processes, production estimation planning, and streamlining related processes. The modernization initiative was divided into various phases –upgrade & integration for accurate tracking & measurement to improve the application’s interface.
Read more about how our created Production Planning & Reporting Software Modernization solution helped unify & effectively monitor machinery, human resources, stocks, and orders.
Modernizing your legacy applications can accelerate your business growth and help create a competitive edge. Application modernization is updating and optimizing legacy applications to improve their functionality, performance, and alignment with modern business requirements. This blog explores why application modernization is necessary, strategy & best practices to modernize their applications. You can use the factors to determine if your apps need modernization. Also, follow the process and best practices for enterprise application modernization. Ultimately, the blog aims to help organizations understand the importance of application modernization and how to approach it strategically to achieve maximum benefits.