The global mobile app development industry is evolving at a breakneck speed to meet the rising user demands. And, businesses must get acquainted with the changing trends to survive and thrive in this digital world.
The apps like WhatsApp, Uber, PokemonGO and more have something in common. They all have brought revolutionary changes in social networking, transportation, and gaming segments respectively but the driving technology behind them is the same. It is location-based services or LBS.
You might be surprised to know that geolocation technology is present in 90% of apps that are installed on your smartphone device. It lets the mobile apps deliver highly personalized recommendations to the users that help businesses skyrocket their sales and deliver customer value efficiently & quickly.
Today location-based apps have expanded beyond the level of a simple local discovery. This map-based technology is one of the leading trends that are likely to rise in the upcoming years. If you’re not updated with this hot trend yet, don’t fret! With this article, we’ll uncover the essentials that you may want to consider for custom GPS location app development.
An application that allows businesses to provide various services depending on the user’s location by using geolocation technologies along with geographical details based on cell tower data, enabled by Wi-Fi or cellular connectivity or GPS signals.
Using geolocation technology in mobile apps helps offer numerous insights about users, trends & more that enhances the overall business performance. It allows serving the users better as per their demands and needs. Wondering how?
Leverage our exceptional location-based mobile app development services to attract, engage, convert, retain and create loyal customers.
There are mainly two types of location-based services – indoor and outdoor. What’s the difference? Let’s check it.
1. Geofencing: This was the first indoor technology built on GPS, cellular, and Wi-Fi data. It creates a virtual geographic boundary, enabling software to trigger a pre-programmed action when a smartphone enters/leaves a particular point. Geofencing is often used in the advertising & marketing sphere to allure prospects with the most relevant ads and offers.
It uses three types of triggers:
2. iBeacon and Eddystone: iBeacon is a software protocol developed by Apple and Eddystone is one of the service offerings developed by Google. Both these technologies rely on Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) signals for indoor positioning. BLE sends out the identifiers, that helps trigger the corresponding actions in custom-designed smartphone for Eddystone or iBeacon. For instance, If we approach sightseeing with a special app then the device constantly shows all the detail about the area.
1. Global Positioning System (GPS): All smartphones are equipped with a built-in GPS module which makes it the most popular technology. It receives signals from several satellites at the same time to determine a position with close to 4 meters of accuracy.
2. WiFi: It helps identify the location in a similar way that GPS does. It is cost-effective and covers smaller areas compared to GPS but works well with Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI) and Google Maps. The RSSI approach can help locate a user using Wi-Fi points.
3. Cell ID: You can also use GSM base stations to identify the geolocation of a user. Mobile phones can detect the cell towers they are connected to. By finding the cell station coordinates, they can establish the location on their map.
The geolocation capabilities in Airbnb and Marriott app have revolutionized the travel and booking industry once and for all. It helps;
Giant retail brands such as Target, Walmart, and IKEA use geolocation apps to enhance their in-store experience. It helps;
Geo tracking app to remotely control your fleet and organize the distribution of work. The GPS tracking System beacons with geo-tracking offer real-time insights into the activities & reporting of the on-the-go staff. It helps;
The geotag capabilities enable easy discovery that connect user according to their location. Apps like Instagram and Facebook use geolocation to target customers with native ads. Likewise, the Tinder app also uses geolocation technology to match users find potential dates nearby. In the same manner, Happn, a local dating app recommends users “with whom you have crossed paths”. It helps;
People are becoming more health-conscious nowadays. These location-based apps can track all outdoor sporting tasks like jogging, cycling, swimming, and more. It helps;
Step 1: Market Analysis:
Step 2: Choose the Reliable Tech Partner: Choose the experienced app development company that can help you select the right tech stack, APIs – a set of tools to be used in the development of a software product.
Choosing a partner like Rishabh Software who can help you leverage technology expertise across platforms. For instance, with web application development, we use the HTML5 Geolocation API. For iOS app development, we leverage Google Maps API, Core Location API, Google Maps SDK, and more. For Android-based apps we can use the Android.location package, Google Location Services API, Google Maps API, Google Maps Directions API, and more.
Step 3: Features & Functionalities: Now is the time to decide on core elements you wish to include with location-based apps. Along with your development partner and based on the research create a list of features categorized by primary, secondary & tertiary that you wish to implement to build a user-centric app.
Step 4: Ensure Data Security: Your app’s security is something that you can’t afford to ignore! Data protection laws are becoming stringent worldwide. So, access to location and user data is a privilege that must not be divulged. Make sure your app complies with the local regulations in all the regions you want to target with your app.
Step 5: Design and Development: Once all the requirements are in place, your tech partner with their mobile GPS app development capability can help craft and implement a methodology that suits your project requirement.
Step 6: Test and Launch the App: Once the core set of features are developed, the mobile app development partner can carry out various testing methodologies to ensure there are no flaws and shortcomings in the app.
The total cost of location-based mobile apps will depend on several factors. We can highlight the important parameters that would influence and offer you a broad estimate of the development cost.
As a pioneer in the mobile app development space, Rishabh Software can help analyze project requirements and pick the right features and functionalities of your geolocation-based app whether it is for content delivery localization, targeted advertising, fraud prevention, real-time incident management, business discovery, network traffic analysis, and more. If you have some of the unique location-based app ideas, we’re just a step away.
We’re ready to assess your needs to develop a custom location-based app that helps widen your reach and attract more customers.