Telecom Order Management System [CASE STUDY]
05 Oct. 2010 Case Studies
The client is the largest provider of digital fiber optic telecommunication network in the Carolinas. The client’s telecom network spans over 3100 fiber route miles and blankets both the states. The client leases capacity to all prominent telecom carriers providing intrastate and interchange services in the state.
Telecom Order Management System – The Business Need
The client was looking for major enhancements to its Telecom Order Management System and addition of new modules to improve client’s business efficacies. The client had many of the business processes that were done manually and recognized the need to automate these business processes and integrate them with their centralized Order Management System.
The System ran on client’s intranet with many of the functional modules not being managed professionally. Additionally, there was no system documentation maintained for the Telecom Order Management System application.
Their business need also included data migration from production database into Accounting Engine database schema and data clean ups, software application testing and quality assurance.
Telecom Order Management System – The Solution
Rishabh Software studied the client’s business architecture, identified opportunities for automations and determined a robust enterprise architecture that would allow seamless integration of new modules and support continual enhancements.
The project team studied the entire Order Management System application code line by line to deliver a comprehensive documentation for existing business processes by:
- Identifying the major business processes and functionalities and representing them using Class Diagram, Flow Charts & Use Cases.
- Documenting all the complex business rules that were part of entire business cycle of this application.
The project team ensured that the database remained in consistent stage and that the data table definition supported accounting engine software for any new changes. They in turn:
- Developed new enhancements in-time so that Accounting Engine could start working by taking Order Management System’s database as its backend.
- Implemented enhancements related to the changes, that not only satisfied client requirements but also satisfied Order Management System Accounting Engine related dependent requirements.
The project team compared the Order Management System’s existing production database with ACCE database to perform database migration into Order Management System’s ACCE database schema structure. During which:
- The use of various types of advanced database tools helped to compare the two database schema and the data due to the complexity of the entire migration process.
- Many differences were discovered that had to be fixed manually by preparation of migration SQL scripts
- SQLs scripts were written to carry out database migration from one database schema structure to another database schema structure without any data loss.
- Manual data entry was carried out where SQL script migrated data was not compatible.
The team also conducted a detailed study for Telecom Order Management System’s production database and observed that data was in inconsistent state and required a lot of data clean ups.
They implemented critical enhancements to existing Telecom Order Management System application and ensured that new enhancements were compatible with the new releases of Telecom Order Management System on production server. For this purpose:
- A dedicated QA resource was assigned to develop a set of test cases and test data for each new release of Telecom Order Management System.
- Automated test scripts were maintained and automation testing tools and technologies were used to automate successful testing for each release of Telecom Order Management System.
- The Telecom Order Management System provide a centralized business framework allowed for easy integration of future enhancements.
- Synchronized databases reduce development efforts and ensure high performance.
- Well defined QA procedures and automated testing ensures highest quality with every release, every time.
- Client’s processing efficiency of orders on Telecom Order Managment System improved by two folds.
- Seamless integration of all existing applications results in faster search and provides enhanced reporting capabilities.
- .NET Framework 2.0 (ASP.NET, C#)
- SQL Server 2000, Windows 2000 / XP, Crystal Reports, SQL Reporting Services
- Quick Test Professional
- Selenium RC
Rishabh Software, a CMMI Level-3 technology company, focuses on cost-effective, qualitative and timely delivered Software Development, Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) and Engineering Services.