Best Practices to Secure Mobile Applications Against Cyber Security Threats & Vulnerabilities
09 Apr. 2018 Mobile App
We live in a world where mobile devices allow us to do almost everything online, from anywhere and at any time. It includes banking, shopping, and even controlling our home, shop and work devices. The driving force behind this thriving mobile productivity is a multitude of mobile app software that is undoubtedly boosting the growth of the mobile ecosystem. As a strategic impediment, this growth has resulted in creating numerous opportunities for enterprises by keeping the customer-convenience at the heart of their innovations.
However, the lapse in enterprise mobile app security associated with inherent security risks undermines the said growth. Today, the apps and mobile devices are critical targets for various types of malicious activities. According to the 2017 Study on Mobile and Internet of Things Application Security, 60% of companies reported insecure mobile apps causing a data breach, with 44% of them not planning to take any immediate action for app protection.
The Developer Scenario:
The app developers of today are engaged in creating frameworks and tools that facilitate an integrated, interconnected world of apps and devices. Their integration capability in a weak security scenario at times makes the app development more susceptible to attacks due to access to multiple channels and platforms.
So, how do enterprises avoid the said security challenges and protect their created mobile apps? Rishabh Software recommends the listed mobile app security best practices that will benefit both enterprises, as well as developers, as part of their custom mobile app development lifecycle.
- Think Security Early On: Security must be one of the top priorities for developers while developing any mobile app, along with disruptive app design and others. The security checklist at the inception phase will help oversee and map possible scenarios during development and deployment of the app. Further, by implementing security best practices, the developer can assess the potential data threats, attacks, and even rectify any underlying performance issues for the app. It will undoubtedly help the organizations to tackle the cost-implications in the end.
- Encrypt All the Credentials: Part of your initial security audit, it is a quite-essential task to restrict access to app data by creating a gateway. It will make it harder for the hackers to lay their hands on your app data, and further exploit it. For a consumer-facing app, it is pertinent to mandate passwords for all the users.
- Implement Strong User Authentication: A highly crucial component of mobile app security, the user authentication and authorization must cover an acute consideration of user privacy, identity management, session management and device security features. The enforcement of 2FA (two-factor authentication) and MFA (multi-factor authentication) will help take advantage of the proven security technologies such as OpenID Connect protocol or OAuth 2.0 authorization framework.
- Secure App Data on Device: Although the data stored on a device is recoverable, the developers must understand that it can drive potential risks. If it is a requisite, consider the proven encryption methods like 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard symmetric-key algorithm standards to store data on a device in the form of files, databases, and other data sources. Further, also factor-in the encryption key management while formulating the mobile application security strategy.
- Examine Development Framework and OS Vulnerabilities: Deploying the mobile apps on legacy platforms and operating systems can increase the likelihood of security attacks. Hence, leverage the latest platforms, as they will help mitigate the security risks since they are frequently updated to fix the security patches, along with advanced data protection features.
Enterprises must comprehend the advancing state of next-generation mobility and cybersecurity while implementing the above-mentioned mobile application security best practices to safeguard your apps and the data within. Rishabh Software helps enterprises achieve best-in-class security for their applications and systems while bringing value to their business and customers.