Best Practices to Secure Mobile Applications Against Cyber Security Threats & Vulnerabilities
09 Apr. 2018 Mobile App
Mobile applications today allow us to do everything online. They can access everything, from online banking to shopping and even controlling home devices. The simultaneous technology upgrade results in reporting of activities that expose the user related important information. Securing applications and data against exploitation is the focus for app development company. The key responsibility of any enterprise mobile app development company is to secure applications and data against exploitation. Further, the lapse in inherent security risks undermines the growth of an organization.
Listed are some of the core elements that will help you avoid the security challenges. It will protect your app from cybercriminals. The businesses have realized the need to safeguard against the associated risks. As it enables achieve business productivity. So, if you are either an app owner or a developer, our article aims to list down the mobile app security best practices that help secure your mobile applications against the security challenges.
The Developer Scenario:
The app developers of today are engaged in creating frameworks and tools that facilitate an integrated, interconnected world of apps and devices. Their integration capability in a weak security scenario at times makes the app development more susceptible to attacks due to access to multiple channels and platforms.
So, how do enterprises avoid the said security challenges and protect their created mobile apps? Rishabh Software recommends the listed mobile app security best practices that will benefit both enterprises, as well as developers, as part of their custom mobile app development lifecycle.
- Think Security Early On: Security must be one of the top priorities for developers while developing any mobile app, along with disruptive app design and others. The security checklist at the inception phase will help oversee and map possible scenarios during the development and deployment of the app. Further, by implementing security best practices, the developer can assess the potential data threats, attacks, and even rectify any underlying performance issues for the app. It will undoubtedly help the organizations to tackle the cost-implications in the end.
- Encrypt All the Credentials: Part of your initial security audit, it is a quite-essential task to restrict access to app data by creating a gateway. It will make it harder for the hackers to lay their hands on your app data, and further exploit it. For a consumer-facing app, it is pertinent to mandate passwords for all the users.
- Implement Strong User Authentication: A highly crucial component of mobile app security, the user authentication and authorization must cover an acute consideration of user privacy, identity management, session management and device security features. The enforcement of 2FA (two-factor authentication) and MFA (multi-factor authentication) will help take advantage of the proven security technologies such as OpenID Connect protocol or OAuth 2.0 authorization framework.
- Secure App Data on Device: Although the data stored on a device is recoverable, the developers must understand that it can drive potential risks. If it is a requisite, consider the proven encryption methods like 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard symmetric-key algorithm standards to store data on a device in the form of files, databases, and other data sources. Further, also factor-in the encryption key management while formulating the mobile application security strategy.
- Examine Development Framework and OS Vulnerabilities: Deploying the mobile apps on legacy platforms and operating systems can increase the likelihood of security attacks. Hence, leverage the latest platforms, as they will help mitigate the security risks since they are frequently updated to fix the security patches, along with advanced data protection features.
Enterprises must comprehend the advancing state of next-generation mobility and cybersecurity while implementing the above-mentioned mobile application security best practices to safeguard your apps and the data within. Rishabh Software helps enterprises achieve best-in-class security for their applications and systems while bringing value to their business and customers.